In hospitality, people make the place. As a hiring manager, the culture of your workplace - and the people you invite into it - is entirely in your hands. Knowing the best way to approach recruitment and onboarding is an essential skill, but many of us don't think too much about it.
Typsy's Recruitment and onboarding online course is all about taking the guesswork out of hiring. By watching this online course, you can ensure you're strengthening both your team and your business with every new hire.
What does recruitment and onboarding involve, and why is getting it right so important?
Have you ever worked with someone who doesn’t want to be there? Or hired someone who wasn’t quite up to the job and witnessed its effect on morale and the bottom line? As a leader you need to know how to build teams through careful selection, mentoring, and setting expectations.
As a hospitality manager, putting together a great team of people is the first step towards business success, and that all starts with the very first job interview. Look at it this way: it's much easier to get your team started on the right foot than having to eventually fix issues like unhappy staff, turnover, and poor workplace culture.
By taking a little time upfront to make sure you're prepared and aware of key things to look out for during the process of recruitment and onboarding, you can save a huge amount of time, money, and stress down the track.
In this course, Mike Hewitt, the founder and operator of One Haus recruitment, will share an overview of recruitment, selection, and onboarding. You’ll explore the Human Resources Management Tools to recruit the right people based on business and cultural needs, followed by how to onboard your new recruits to promote commitment and engagement so that you can best retain your team.
This course is perfect for hospitality managers, people and culture professionals, and anyone else involved with the recruiting and onboarding process.
What you will learn
Some of the common concerns that can make recruiting hospitality staff challenging:
- How to plan ahead for staffing needs and why doing this is important
- How to write a job description
- Understand that the way you recruit is a reflection of your business culture/brand
- Know the different ways to find candidates (including looking internally), and how to choose the right avenue
- How to write a job advertisement
- The difference between recruiting based on skill vs cultural fit, and the key advantages and disadvantages of both
- Basic interview questioning techniques
- Understand the role of ethics and legalities in selecting candidates and what it means to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
- How to make an offer and reject a candidate
- The key dos and don'ts of onboarding
- How to create a great onboarding experience
Mike Hewitt is the founder and operator of One Haus, a premier Hospitality recruitment firm based in New York City. He also hosts RECRUIT.RETAIN.RELAX, a radio show on Heritage Radio Network which features conversations with industry thought leaders focusing on recruitment, retention and how to cultivate moments of relaxation within the hectic hospitality lifestyle.
Have a question? We’re always ready to talk.