There's so much to learn it's hard to know where to start! So to get your learning journey off on the right foot in 2021, here are Typsy's 10 most popular courses from the past year.
1. COVID-19 responsibility and service tips
This dedicated COVID-19 course is led by Zara Madrusan, co-owner of Made in the Shade Group. You'll gain a clear understanding of the impact of COVID-19 on the hospitality industry, measures that you can take to support each other, and how to be innovative throughout this unusual and challenging working situation.
- The impact of COVID-19 on the hospitality industry
- Different ways to greet your customers while respecting social distancing
- How to make your customers feel safe
- Helpful tips during a pandemic crisis
This course is ideal for anyone working in the hospitality industry during the COVID-19 pandemic.
This course is one of several that deal directly with COVID-19, including:
2. Recruitment and onboarding
In this course, Mike Hewitt, the founder and operator of One Haus recruitment, will share an overview of recruitment, selection, and onboarding.
You’ll explore the Human Resources Management tools you need to recruit the right people based on business and cultural requirements; proper onboarding strategies; and issues to watch out for.
- Common staffing challenges
- How to write a job description
- Know the different ways to find candidates (including looking internally), and how to choose the right avenue
- The difference between recruiting based on skill vs cultural fit
- Basic interview techniques
- Understand the role of ethics and legalities in selecting candidates
- How to make an offer and reject a candidate
- How to create a great onboarding experience
This course is perfect for hospitality managers or anyone involved with the recruitment and onboarding process.
3. Effective communication with staff
Restaurant consultant Mike Ganino shares his expert tips for sharpening your managerial skills. With this course, you can create a positive work environment, build a strong brand, and guide your team towards success!
- How to quickly build rapport with new staff
- How to run effective team meetings
- How to conduct effective performance reviews
- How to keep staff accountable
- How to have difficult conversations with your staff
- How to manage conflict in the workplace
- How to build a harassment-free workplace
4. Food safety and hygiene fundamentals
Hygiene and safety is always important, but since the outbreak of the coronavirus, patrons are more aware than ever of how illnesses can spread.
In this course, celebrity chef Alastair McLeod talks through the key issues you need to be aware of to keep you, and your guests, safe.
- Best-practice handwashing and personal hygiene in the workplace
- What personal protective equipment is, and how to use it
- How to identify and prevent food contamination
- What food poisoning is, and how to prevent it
- Best-practice methods for storing food
- Strategies for keeping a kitchen clean and pest-free
- Common food allergens and safety strategies
This course is aimed at any hospitality worker who comes into contact with food or customers.
Building a bigger, better industry - together
Learning with Typsy helps you and your team develop the kind of high-level skills you need to solve problems and deliver incredible guest experiences.
Typsy lessons are practical, effective, and fun! And best of all, you can access 1000+ topics as and when it suits you.
Learn your way - starting today.
5. Optimizing your hospitality business
In this course, Anthony LoGiusto explains how to identify areas of potential improvement across your business. You’ll learn best-practice strategies to optimize your business and see positive changes in everything from workflow to operations to profit.
- How to assess your business’ structure and organization to get the most out of your team
- Best-practice approaches to deciding which areas of your business will benefit from outsourcing
- How to choose technology to best support your business needs
- How to critically assess your costs and distribution to optimize revenue
- The importance of regularly reviewing existing contracts, and how to manage them effectively
- Strategies for identifying and trimming waste in your business
This course is aimed at hospitality business owners and managers to optimize operations and maximize revenue.
Upselling to your guests is an important part of generating revenue in your venue. Alejandro Francino is here to teach you about the do's and don'ts of upselling.
- The importance of product knowledge when making recommendations
- Creating a positive first impression
- How to make recommendations based on guest needs
- How to handle guest resistance
- The importance of offering additional services
- How to build rapport with guests
This course is perfect for front desk staff looking at strengthening their sales techniques.
7. COVID-19 business restart for managers
In this course, Michael Bascetta, the co-founder of Worksmith and co-owner and operator of Bar Liberty, Capitano, and Falco Bakery, will share with you practical strategies to consider when restarting your business in, and after, the COVID pandemic.
You’ll explore best-practice strategies for post-COVID-19, including how to engage guests and staff, how to rebuild workplace culture, and more.
- Why it is time to switch from survival to a growth mindset post-COVID-19
- Restart strategies
- Whether your brand promise fits into a post-COVID-19 world
- Revenue generation, pre- and post-COVID
- Minimizing virus transmission in reopening
- Your short-term cash position and how this impacts reopening
- How to identify new revenue streams during COVID-19 survival or lockdown stage
- How to best engage with your online community
This course is aimed at hospitality business owners and managers, or those who want to become managers, who are restarting after the COVID-19 shutdown.
Never heard of GDPR? Well, GDPR stands for General Data Protection Regulation, a set of regulatory guidelines for data security set by the EU. If you handle or process guest data and information in any way - particularly if you’re in the EU, work with businesses in the EU, or host guests from the EU - this course is for you.
In this course, Jamal Ahmed, privacy professional and GDPR Practitioner, will walk you through the fundamentals of data protection and privacy.
- What GDPR is and who it applies to
- What personal data actually means, and the types of data it’s okay to process
- The lawful basis for protecting data
- Obtaining consent for data processing
- Individual rights around personal data
- The consequences of poor data security
- How to report a data breach
- International privacy laws
This course is ideal for anyone in the hospitality industry who processes, or has access to, client personal information and data.
9. Sustainable food practices
Carlos Henriques is the owner and co-founder of the world’s most sustainable restaurant, Restaurant Nolla. Here, he'll help you think about sustainability in your restaurant or kitchen, and where you can find small opportunities to improve sustainability without compromising quality or financial profitability.
- How to apply sustainability in your business
- Building a mindset of sustainable food practices with your team
- The four P’s strategy
- Sourcing produce sustainably, and developing a sustainable menu
- Why and how to reduce waste effectively
- How to establish a balance between profitability and sustainability
- How to communicate sustainability
- How to draft a sustainability plan for your business
This course is ideal for any kitchen employees and staff members wanting to learn more about sustainable food practices.
10. Guest experience fundamentals
In this course, life and business strategist Anna Dolce will teach you about the importance of the guest experience and how to make it a positive one from the moment your guest enters your venue to the minute they leave.
- How the guest experience can set your venue apart from the rest
- How your role can impact the guest experience
- How service and hospitality affect the guest experience
- The meaning of being hospitable
- How to understand, recognize and anticipate guest needs
- How to make your guests feel special
- How to turn a negative experience into a positive one
This course is perfect for frontline staff working in any variety of hospitality venues or anyone interested in working in the hospitality industry.
You might also like: