It’s time for an update! You may remember our previous blog on the top universities as ranked by QS World University Rankings. A new update has come out covering the top hospitality schools in the world for 2019.
Choosing to study hospitality management doesn’t necessarily mean that you need to attend one of the most prestigious to gain a solid education. You should choose whatever school works for you. However, if you are looking for a school that is recognized for its reputation academically and professionally, then the schools selected by QS World University Rankings should be highly considered.
Ecole hoteliere de Lausanne takes the number one spot and it’s exciting to see that more global schools are being recognized. There were three schools in India that made the top 50 list! Although you should choose whatever school works for you, if you are looking for a school that is recognized for its reputation academically and professionally, then the schools selected by QS World Univeristy Rankings will give you some ideas on which ones to look out for.
In this blog, we've dusted off our pens and opened our text books to highlight the the top 20 schools to study hospitality management at the undergraduate level for 2019 in each region of the world (see the full list here).
Disclaimer: Antarctica and Africa do not currently have any universities that rank for hospitality management. Moreover, these are only a few highlights, visit the website for detailed info.
North America2. University of Nevada - Las Vegas
- Close to the Las Vegas strip.
- Recruitment from major hospitality brands with a high employment rate after graduation.
- Membership to an elite alumni group.
- World-class faculty and industry experts.
- Management professionals from leading brands attend their programs.
- Different types of programs offered to match the needs of hotel executives.
1. Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne
- History of global reputation.
- Restaurant on site to learn the art of fine dining.
- Many students go on to start their own businesses.
- Three campuses in different locations.
- Nurturers entrepreneurial talent.
- Focus in experiential learning.
- Visits from leading brands and industry experts.
- Exciting internships with prestigious companies.
- Number one in employer reputation.
- Students rate 4.38 out of 5 for career preparation.
- Students from over 50 nationalities with an international alumni network.
- Placement as part of the Bachelor program.
- Focuses on “learning by doing.”
- Paid internships.
- Hosts and exclusive recruitment forum.
- Partnerships with leaders within the Hospitality, Tourism, and Events sectors.
- Great track record of employability in students after graduation.
- Restaurant on site for student training.
- Bacchus mentoring program - be mentored by someone in the industry.
- Hosts a prestigious awards gala honoring outstanding alumni with industry leaders in attendance.
- Challenges students by offering experiential learning methods.
- Ability to shape your curriculum.
- Work placement in year three either in the UK or abroad.
- High employability after graduation.
- Student employability is their top priority.
- Small classes and personal coaching.
- Sustainability and fresh food focused.
- On-site kitchens, demonstration bar, front office, hotel room and housekeeping office.
- Opportunities to study overseas.
- Ranked number 2 for employer reputation.
- Variety of short courses on offer.
- Industry partnerships with global industry leaders including Four Seasons Hotel and Resorts.
- Paid internship opportunities.
- Spread across three campuses, first years can choose which campus to study at.
- Industry partnerships with global industry leaders including the Ritz Paris.
- Have access to the International Recruitment Forum held twice a year.
- Paid internship opportunities.
- Industry partnerships with global industry leaders including Andaz.
- On-campus training restaurant and design studio.
19. University College of Hospitality Management Sant Pol de Mar - Spain
- Internship and labor incorporation opportunities.
- Study abroad opportunities.
- Professional Development Days held throughout the year to allow students to meet global hospitality, tourism nd restaurant groups.
Typsy’s 1000+ hospitality lessons are practical, effective, and fun! You can learn more about everything from finance to service and leadership skills.
Best of all, you can access Typsy as and when it suits you.
Learn your way - starting today.
Asia5. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Student-operated restaurant.
- Vinoteca lab - for wine appreciation, food and wine pairing, creative mixology and coffee art.
- Field trips for first-hand experience of hotel operations, tourist attractions, holiday cruises, theme parks, and conferences.
- Only university in Asia to receive the Tourism Education’s higher quality certification by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation.
- On-site front office rooms, hotel suites and restaurants.
- Internship opportunities at a Michelin-star restaurant.
18. Blue Mountains International Hotel Management School - Australia
- Practical learning within a simulated hotel environment.
- Two industry placements on offer.
- Study at both the Sydney and Leura campuses.
20. Griffith University - Australia
- Access to internships with the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation, the organizing body of GC2018, and its key stakeholders.
- Guest speakers and industry contact in Queensland.
- Experience working for a real company in destinations around the world.
Almost every University on this list offers similar benefits to studying at their school. If you’re unsure of which school to choose, it might be best to see the progression of each school. If they have been around for years, see how often they end up on one of these lists. If they are a newer school, see how innovative they are and how they have been progressing. It’s an exciting time to be involved in the hospitality industry as we are ever changing and growing every year. Good luck out there!
Did you know that Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne, Cornell's Statler Hotel, FIU and Hong Kong Polytechnic use Typsy? Join these leaders in education, sign up to Typsy today and get the first 10-days free!
|Andrea Aguilar earned her master’s degree in International Hospitality, Event, and Tourism Management from Oxford Brookes University. She has since left to start her own hospitality business called Preshift Hospitality that focuses on employee engagement in the hospitality industry.
You might also like: