When you work in any area of the hospitality industry, from front of house to back of house to management, you will undoubtedly find yourself performing tasks that would be much more enjoyable with some good tunes playing in the background.
Setting up tables and chairs at the start of a shift, mopping at the end of a long day, prepping food, doing inventory, fine tuning the details of a lunch special, or creating a new roster... the list goes on.
There has been a lot of research conducted recently which suggests that listening to music in the workplace creates a better atmosphere for workers.
Although listening to music while working is still considered by your brain to be an act of multitasking, the end results are actually positive.
Playing music in the workplace helps staff feel more engaged and positive while increasing levels of inspiration, concentration, effectiveness and speed of performance. A positive and far less stressful work environment is created in which staff wellbeing is promoted.
But we know how hard it can be to decide on the music you want to listen to sometimes, especially when you don’t have a lot of time to pick and choose between artists. This is why we have created playlists you can return to when you need tunes to keep you going at work.
In Volume 1 of the Typsy Playlists, we’ve curated a selection of songs to help you relax and keep you going – and we’ve uploaded them to Spotify so you can just click play and enjoy!
When you’re in the mood for: tunes to chill out to
Working in the hospitality industry can often be quite a challenge. The fast paced nature of the work coupled with long hours, high stress situations, and a need to be on the ball at all times can leave you feeling like you’re running an endurance race.
It’s imperative to take time to unwind and de-stress, and this doesn’t always have to wait until you get home and crash out. Playing some soft, soothing sounds while performing tasks that allow you to listen to music at the same time can help your brain take a little breather.
- RJD2 – A Beautiful Mine
- Lovage – Lies and Alibis (Mike Patton, Jennifer Charles, Nathaniel Merriweather)
- Mazzy Star – Fade Into You
- Yo La Tengo – Green Arrow
- Broken Social Scene – Lover’s Spit
- Cat Power – Sea of Love
- Virgil Howe – Someday
- Marcy Playground – Sex and Candy
- Fleet Foxes – White Winter Hymnal
- Tricky – The Love Cats
- Massive Attack – Teardrop
- King Krule – The Noose of Jah City
- Slowdive – Souvlaki Space Station
- James Blake – To The Last
- Burial – Ghost Hardware
- Warpaint – Baby
- Beach House – Gila
- The xx – Angels
- BadBadNotGood – Confessions (feat. Leland Whitty)
- Moloko – Sing It Back
- SZA – Warm Winds (feat. Isaiah Rashad)
- Air – Playground Love (with Gordon Tracks)
- Al Green – Love and Happiness
- POLIÇA – Wandering Star (feat. Mike Noyce)
- Bonobo – Cirrus
- The War On Drugs – Thinking Of A Place
- Devendra Banhart – Freely
- FKA Twigs – Hours
- Christian Scott – No Love
- Erykah Badu – On & On
- Anthony Young and the Next Man Dead – Generosity
- Mount Kimbie – Break Well
- Yellow Days – A Little While
- James Blake – The Wilhelm Scream
- Baths – ♥
- Massive Attack – Unfinished Sympathy
- Tash Sultana – Notion
- Shlohmo – Places
- Boards of Canada – Reach For The Dead
- Fat Freddy’s Drop – Wandering Eye
When you’re in the mood for: tunes to keep you focused (but upbeat)
Recent research suggests that listening to dance music has a positive effect on proofreading and problem-solving abilities. The accuracy and speed of your performance is enhanced when you have some party tunes playing in the background!
So if you’re doing inventory, measuring recipes or putting together a new menu, and want to ensure all the nitpicky details are correct, this is the playlist for you.
- Major Lazer – Jet Blue Jet (feat. Leftside, GTA, Biggy, Razz)
- Groove Armada – But I Feel Good
- Art vs Science – Parlez Vous Francais
- Eagles & Butterflies – Experiment C
- Simian Mobile Disco – It’s The Beat
- Matthias Meyer – Infinity
- HNNY – Yearning
- Daft Punk – One More Time
- The Prodigy – Voodoo People
- Ratatat – Loud Pipes
- Red Axes – Sun My Sweet Sun
- Groove Armada – I See You Baby
- Pnau – Embrace
- David Guetta – Love Don’t Let Me Go
- Modjo – Lady (Hear Me Tonight)
- Justice – Genesis
- Felix da Housecat – Sinnerman (Nina Simone) (Felix Da Housecat’s Heavenly House Mix)
- Owiny Sigoma Band – Nyiduonge Drums
- Fatboy Slim – Praise You
- Syclops – Jump Bugs
- The Chemical Brothers – Block Rockin’ Beats
- Christian Smith – Matrix
- HNNY – Nothing
- Yeasayer – O.N.E.
- Fatboy Slim – Rockafeller Skank
- The Prodigy – No Good (Start The Dance)
- Ratatat – Wildcat
- Ebo Taylor, Pat Thomas, Henrik Schwarz – Eye Nyam Nam’A’Mensuro
- Underworld – Born Slippy (Nuxx)
- Darude – Sandstorm
Don't miss out on our future playlists – sign up to our newsletter!
|Ivana Rnjak is a Content Writer at Typsy. A waitress and bartender in a previous life, Ivana is an aspiring academic with an unwavering love of brunch – no matter what Anthony Bourdain says!|
You might also like